April 1, 2021
Simple Tips To Tackle Your Spring Cleaning
It’s the time of year that no one really looks forward to: spring cleaning.
You know that you’ll appreciate all your hard work afterward, but it’s often difficult to get started.
But as they say—there’s no time like the present! Break out those rubber gloves, grab a towel, and get ready for these spring cleaning tips:
Break it Down into Rooms
Cleaning your entire apartment in one weekend can be an intimidating chore. The thought of all that work might tempt you to procrastinate until the summer! Here are a few tips to help you get organized:
- Identify which rooms should be cleaned first. Your bathroom may require more immediate attention than your guest bedroom. Prioritizing your tasks will help you spread out the work. Begin your spring cleaning in the messiest areas and work your way toward the less urgent ones.
- Divide the cleaning over a week or two. Cramming all the cleaning into one weekend could be a recipe for disaster. Take things day by day to spread out the work and avoid overwhelming yourself. You want to do a thorough job, not a quick one.
- Break down chores into 10-30 minute increments. A recent study suggests that our collective attention spans are getting shorter. We aren’t here to theorize about why, but we do know that cleaning for 2 hours straight is a pain. Divide your time into bite-sized chunks and take breaks when necessary.
With a cleaning schedule as optimized and coherent as this one, spring cleaning will be as breezy as the air outside!
Shake Your Rugs
It’s finally warm enough to step outside without wearing a full set of winter gear.
If your apartment is decorated with door mats or rugs, they’ve probably accumulated a good amount of dirt and hair over the winter. Instead of trying to sweep or vacuum them inside your home, take them outside and give them a good shake! It’s surprising how much dust rugs hold on to.
Don’t Forget about Walls, Windows, & the Shower Curtain
These areas are often overlooked when it’s time to clean. But if the rest of your place is spotless, these places will stick out like a sore thumb.
- Washing walls: You know that it’s important to sweep, mop, or vacuum the floors, but don’t forget about the walls! In the kitchen, they might be splattered with grease or tomato sauce. Before you wash the walls, make sure to remove the dust first.
- Cleaning windows: While a squeegee is ideal, you can get away with using some paper towels. Try a glass cleaner or a mix of water and vinegar.
- Drying the shower curtain: If you don’t dry the curtain after showering, you might end up with a mould problem in your bathroom. To remove mildew from a plastic shower curtain, use a solution with vinegar and water.
Have you ever taken a whiff of a harsh cleaning product, only to get a headache instantly? The chemicals used in many common cleaning products can be hazardous. For those with respiratory issues, this is especially concerning.
But it doesn’t have to be this way. You can make your spring cleaning safer by using green cleaning products that won’t irritate allergies or other sensitives. They’re also better for the environment!
It’s time to start your spring cleaning and bring a breath of fresh air into your home. Cleaning your space can make it feel like you live in a new apartment! If you’re in the market for one of those, check out our three bedroom apartments in Winnipeg.